A PRINTABLE SPELLING DICTIONARY
Written by THRIVE Program Teacher, Tyson Schoeber • Last Updated: 09-26-2013
If a student tends to have trouble remembering common spellings, keeping a personalized spelling dictionary handy can be a very effective strategy.
There are a number of other good spelling dictionaries available on the web, but our version was specially designed for older kids who struggle with writing. It includes:
- high-interest and content-rich words
- multiple forms of many base words
- lots of specialized lists for quick lookups
sounds-likeentries (so phone can be found on the P and F pages)
On top of all that, it's available here as a free download. All you need is a printer that can work with LEGAL sized paper and a long-arm stapler!
The booklet is meant to be double-sided to save paper. Since not many people have printers that can do that automatically, I've arranged the pages in this file to make it easy to do with any printer. Just follow these steps:
- Download the PDF file (if you haven't done so already).
- Open the file and print pages 1 through 10.
- Put those printed pages back into your printer so that the BLANK sides will be printed on next. (You may have to flip or rotate the pages to get this to work.)
- Print pages 11 to 20.
- Sort the pages, fold the booklet down the middle and staple it together.
If you're willing to help create a version designed specifically for double-sided printers, please contact me. I'd love to work with you to test the draft on your printer!
If you can suggest corrections or improvements, please feel free to get in touch with us. An expanded version of this dictionary is already in the works — and your feedback could help make it better!